Having four sets of character statistics up for the Konoha Twelve/Thirteen kind of makes me want to develop an informal role-playing game (RPG) based on them? I’d definitely have to add another stat called “Heart” or “Spirit” or “Empathy,” something like that, but otherwise I think everything is covered?
Like… I even thought of a rough idea of the rules and such when I was traveling:
- So as not to require many specialized dice, this game would only use three d6 (aka the cube shape dice that have six faces which most board games use).
- Depending on what the related skill/stat is, playing would be the three d6+stat. For example, if I have a speed of 3 and roll a 2, 4, and 5, then that’d be a total of 14.
- The breakdown of roll results would be 3-8 is a failure, 9-16 is a mixed success, 17-22 is an uncontested success, and 23 is an EPIC SUCCESS. (This would probably be a little modified depending on what the obstacle or who the enemy is? Like, a 17 will not defeat someone like Madara outright, but maybe your character does manage to score a hit).
- There’d probably be some special rules, too. Like, if you roll triples you can get a little boost/advantage no matter what the actual result is–like, triple 2s might be a fail, but maybe you failed so badly that the enemy is distracted and your teammate gets an advantage on their attack.
- Character creation! If we go based off everyone’s Academy graduation stats then it would be (well, I’d still have to figure out whatever the other Heart/Spirit stat is) but all graduates have a rough minimum of 12 points and a rough maximum of 18. So you start with 12 no matter what then in order to create your character, you’d roll two d6. One you can make part of your current talent/fighting stats and the other you can make your Heart/Spirit stat (so you can decide if you want to be more of a Lee character or a Neji character–or a Naruto character vs a Sasuke character–more Heart/Spirit but less talent. Or maybe you might end up rolling 1s on both and just be like one of those background faceless characters that didn’t get a jounin-sensei).
- Depending on who the game master (GM) is and who is playing you don’t have to start in Konoha (actually, maybe you probably shouldn’t? To have a different genin team set up it might be better to go to a different village). Most likely (unless everyone has amazingly high character creation rolls) the players wouldn’t be on a jounin led team but in the general Genin Corps so the GM wouldn’t have to be worried about playing an OP non player character (NPC) and god.
I guess mostly it’d be a cool way to create a story in the Naruto world without having to adhere to Naruto’s canon story.
Damn. I really want to play this now.